What we do
For over 40 years Birmingham and Solihull Women’s Aid has provided frontline domestic violence and abuse support services to women and children in the Birmingham and Solihull area.
If you, or someone you know, needs help or support:
We are a registered charity, and are part of the umbrella group of organisations Women’s Aid Federation England.
- We operate a confidential helpline 0808 800 0028
- We deliver advice and support via our drop in centres
- We provide safe emergency refuge accommodation
- We offer practical housing support and advice through our home options hub
- We provide community outreach support
- We support women dealing with criminal proceedings
- We provide family support
- We deliver training to professionals
- We work with young people to raise awareness
- Training for corporates
- Advice for employers
- We work in tandem with other organisations such as LGBT, St Basils etc
Our approach is underpinned by our three pillars
No woman or child should live in fear of violence or abuse and to do so is a violation of their human rights. BSWA works tirelessly toward a future for all women, in which inequality, violence and abuse are no longer tolerated.
We support women
Every day our specially trained team of female support workers listen to, believe in and offer expert support to women and children affected by domestic violence and abuse in the Birmingham and Solihull area. We do not judge, we do not apply pressure, nor do we tell women what they should do.
We campaign, educate train and inspire action
We acknowledge the impact prevention and early intervention initiatives have on the long term safety of women and children. We believe that all of society has a role to play in bringing an end to domestic violence and abuse. We need to stop asking the question ‘Why doesn’t she leave’ and our work to challenge entrenched views about domestic abuse is at the forefront of our campaigning.